This section is for health professionals and includes referral guidance and advice on managing common eye conditions.
GP liaison team020 7521 4661
Switchboard020 7253 3411
What we do
- Provide a single point of contact for GPs and health professional partners to address issues that may arise.*
- Listen to GPs’ views and comments to help us plan and redesign our services.
- Answer queries from GPs and practice staff about services.*
- Resolve issues that need addressing promptly and effectively.
- Provide up to date information on service developments.
- Organise or support educational engagement events.
We have a dedicated GP liaison team responsible for co-ordinating communications with GPs, primary care practitioners and other health professionals. Contact us on 020 7521 4661 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please do not share confidential patient information. Please use the referral routes or call our switchboard on 020 7253 3411.
Emergency treatment for urgent, sight-threatening problems.
GPs are encouraged to send patients to the nearest emergency eye unit rather than sending patients directly to Moorfields Eye Hospital.
As such, please consider units in close proximity to the patient prior to referring.
Eligibility criteria for patients that are suitable for urgent Moorfields Eye Hospital A&E review:
- Patients with urgent, sight-threatening problems such as:
- Penetrating eye injury.
- Chemical/thermal burns to eye.
- Giant cell arteritis with loss of vision.
- Flashes and floaters of recent onset.
- Sudden loss of vision.
- Retinal detachment.
- Contact lens ulcers.
- Acute cranial nerve paresis.
- Corneal abrasions.
- Corneal foreign bodies.
- Symptoms of acute angle closure glaucoma.
- Optometry referrals for pressures >30mmHg.
- Patients with non-urgent problems (dry eyes, itchy eyes, hay fever, cataracts).
- Moorfields carries out active triage – if a condition is not urgent, patient may be triaged away from A&E.
- Moorfields A&E prefers GPs to call prior to sending patients. 020 7521 4682 (direct dial to the A&E named A&E clinician of the day).
How to Refer
Specialist A&E department – referral letter essential. Please explain why same day urgent.
Discharge summaries sent via Docman.
Moorfields Eye Hospital A&E,
162 City Rd,
- Moorfields Direct – 020 7566 2345.
- Clinical queries – 020 7521 4682 (direct dial to the A&E named A&E clinician of the day).