Medication safety is about preventing errors in the process of prescribing, preparing, dispensing, administering, monitoring or providing advice on medicines.
We promote the safe use of medicines across the Trust to keep medication incidents at a minimum, as we continue to issue an average of 30,000 prescribed items each month.
Some of our steps to promote safe medicines use across the trust include:
- The Medication Safety Thermometer, this is a measurement tool for improvement that focuses on:
- Medication reconciliation, allergy status, medication omission, and identifying harm from high risk medicines in line with Domain 5 of the NHS outcomes framework.
- Efficient response to drug safety alerts from the Department of Health
- Medicines information for staff and patients
Medicines Safety News Issue Bulletins:
- Medicines Safety News Issue 1, May 2014
- Medication Safety News Issue 2, Sept 2014
- Medication Safety News Issue 3, Dec 2014
- Medication Safety News Issues 4, Dec 2015